Pickled Brinjal - this dish is a delicious combination of achari spices, gur (for a tinge of sweetness), tamarind (for sourness) cooked with dices of brinjal. After travelling for so many days I am back to my cooking :)
- Brinjal 1 Large
- Gur Syrup (melt gur) 1tbsp – adjust as per taste
- Tamarind pulp 1tbsp (adjust the sweetness and sourness as per taste)
- Hing a pinch
- Mustard Seeds 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds 1 tsp
- Saunf 1 tsp
- Methi seeds 1/2 tsp
- Kalonji 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder 2 tsp
- Red Chili powder 1-2 tsp
- Tumeric Powder 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder 1 tsp
- Amchur as required
- Garam Masala (optional) ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- I have tried to pen down the measurement as per how I made but adjustments in the sweetness and sourness might be required as per taste.
- Take a pan – heat mustard oil to smoking point – let the oil cool a bit.
- Now add hing, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, methi seeds, kalonji and saunf – let it crackle and stir it. As soon as it changes a little colour, add the brinjal cut in dices.
- Mix well and stir for a couple of minutes.
- Now add the dry spice powders along with salt except for amchur and garam masala. Cook for a while until the brinjals are almost 90% done.
- Now add the gur syrup, tamarind and amchur and cook for another 3-4 minutes on low to medium heat. Adjust the seasoning and also sweetness and sourness as per taste. Serve hot.