Healthy cooking is my latest obsession. So another addition to healthy cooking
- 5 whole wheat bread slices
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seedS
- 3-4 green chilies, finely chopped
- half an onion, finely chopped
- 1 deseeded tomato, finely chopped
- 1 cup cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrots, grated
- 3/4 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon spicy red chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh coriander for garnish
- To begin making the Iyengar Style Masala Bread Recipe, we will first make the topping.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in heavy bottomed pan over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds and allow them to crackle. Add onions, green bell peppers, carrots, cabbage and the finely chopped green chili and saute until the onions, cabbage and peppers soften.
- Once they turn soft, add the finely chopped de-seeded tomato, saute and cook until it softens and cooks well.
- Add the salt, red chili powders, chaat masala and stir well to combine at low heat. Check the taste and adjust accordingly.
- Finally add the tomato ketchup, mix again. Cook at low heat for another 1 minute and turn off the heat. The filling is now ready to be topped over toasted bread.
- The next step is the toast the bread. Grease and preheat a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Spread butter/ghee over one side of a slice of bread. Place the buttered side down on the heated skillet at medium heat.
- Spread butter/ghee on the top surface as well. Toast well on both sides, until the bread is browned and crisp. Remove from heat and toast the remaining breads the similar way.
- Arrange the toasted bread slices over the serving platter. Spoon and spread the masala topping over the toasted bread and serve hot.