- Chicken boneless ½ kg
- 1 ½ cups whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup Saffola oat meal
- Water (Using yoghurt or milk will give you super soft Chapattis)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbs vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- 2 tbs beet juice
- This recipe makes roughly 12 Chapattis.
For the jerk marinade
- 1 big bunch spring onions, roughly chopped
- Thumb-sized piece ginger, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ a small onion
- 3 chilies, deseeded if you want less heat
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- Juice 1 lime
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp ground allspice
- To make the jerk marinade, combine all the ingredients in a food processor along with 1 tsp salt, and blend to a purée. If you’re having trouble getting it to blend, just keep turning off the blender, stirring the mixture, and trying again. Eventually it will start to blend up – don’t be tempted to add water, as you want a thick paste.
- Taste the jerk mixture for seasoning – it should taste pretty salty, but not unpleasantly, puckering salty. You can now throw in more chilies if it’s not spicy enough for you. If it tastes too salty and sour, try adding in a bit more brown sugar until the mixture tastes well balanced.
- Make a few slashes on chicken and pour the marinade over the meat, rubbing it into all the crevices. Cover and leave it to marinate overnight or minimum 3 hours in the fridge.
- To cook in the oven, heat to 180C. Put the chicken pieces in a roasting tin with the lime halves and cook for 45 mins until tender and cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the Roti by forming dough out of the Roti ingredients.
- Let the dough rest for ½ hour
- Prepare parathas with 3 drops of oil
- Make fresh salad of cabbage, tomatoes , lemon juice, salt and pepper and 1 tsp olive oil
- Assemble the roll by placing salad first then jerk chicken and rolling the chapatis.